Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Adverbs for Advent

He did it again. Bishop Morneau asked a question that really made me think, especially as we celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow, and start Advent on Sunday. He asked, "What are the adverbs in your life?" Whoa...flashback to 6th grade at Most Precious Blood Catholic School in Fort Wayne, and Mr. Raucci my determined English teacher explaining the difference between adjectives and adverbs! They are most commonly (hint, just typed one) seen as "ly" words.

It's at this time of year that adverbs are most on my mind...I'm just more reflective I guess. Certainly (no pun intended) those that spring to mind are gratefully, joyfully, humbly, peacefully, prayerfully, excitedly and purposefully. All good things. However, an examination of conscience also finds, hurriedly, impatiently, judgementally, sarcastically and angrily. Ouch.

This Thanksgiving and Advent, I'm making a conscious effort to focus on living the good adverbs so my heart and soul are ready come Christmas.

On a separate, but related note, my good friend Leisa Anslinger, sent me a link today to a Jewish folktale called The Special Ingredient about preparation in a way we don't often expect. I realLY enjoyed it and I hope you do too. http://www.nccl.org/Resources/Documents/CL%20Weekly/2011/The%20Special%20Ingredient.pdf. I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving and a spirit-filled Advent!

There's lots of activity in the vineyard lately. Can you go too?

No comments: