Monday, September 26, 2011

My introduction to the ICSC



I remember my very first ICSC, International Catholic Stewardship Council conference, (then the National Catholic Stewardship Council). It was October of 1995 in Chicago, and I was excited to meet and learn from representatives from parishes and dioceses across the country! I was born and raised Catholic, attended Catholic grade and high school, and yet was very curious about this word "stewardship" that I certainly didn't remember hearing about before.

After setting up our exhibit booth for Our Sunday Visitor, I went to a presentation given by Monsignor Joseph Champlin and a couple named Dutch and Barbara Schultz to learn more about this term. I was astonished to discover that stewardship, the way of life, is how I was raised, how my husband and I strive to live, and I didn't have a clue. We were "unconscious stewards" I like to say. This was definitely a turning point in my life...one of those "Ah Ha!" moments.

At the conference, I was most impressed with the people; they were warm, spirit-filled, giving, welcoming, eager to learn and happy to share their knowledge and experiences with others. That's true today too! I remember in particular, the folks from Christ the King Parish in Jacksonville, Florida. Hospitality is one of the keys to a solid parish stewardship foundation, and this parish had it down pat. Since this was our first time attending and exhibiting at the conference, the Christ the King contingent adopted my co-worker, Sharon Kaiser, and I, checked on us often to make sure we were ok, and brought us candy from the other exhibit booths. To this day, I still fondly think of that group when I attend the annual ICSC conference.


What grade would you give your parish stewardship efforts? Need to inject some new ideas and enthusiasm into your committee? There are LOTS of good resources, opportunities for networking and workshops on hospitality and other important stewardship topics at the 2011 ICSC conference in Orlando. I hope you'll join me and the over 1,000 other stewards from around the world who will be there. The dates are October 23-26 and you can find more information at http://www.catholicstewardship.com/. Please be sure to stop by the Our Sunday Visitor booth so I can meet and personally thank you for following the blog. In fact, I'll even be blogging from the conference, so be sure to check back frequently for live updates from me and some of my co-workers about what's new and exciting, and what we learn each day.

Well, back to the vineyard. You go too...how about the vineyard in Orlando in October?

2 comments:

Mary Pat Frey said...

Hi Julie,
I think this blog is a great idea! Having a vehicle to share practical information as well as spiritual insights helps us to grow as stewards. I find that the ministry and the study of stewardship feeds my faith tremendously. It makes this call to the vineyard that you mention clear and compelling.

I also agree that the information available at the ICSC Conferences is so very valuable. Each time I attend I not only come away refreshed about my work in stewardship, but I also am inspired with new ideas and encouraged from others as a result of the professional and social networking.

Blessings, Julie said...

Ditto, Mary Pat! I can truly sense God equipping me throughout this entire event. I am always motivated and enthused by the new stewards I meet, and reunite with those I've known for some time. Through the workshops and many, many conversations - the stories of people, what worked and didn't work, new techniques, etc. - I find I can almost immediately apply what I learn once I return home and to "life after ICSC". The conference is an investment in time, money and energy, but the return is so much greater it’s worth it!